We are looking for talented individuals to join our team
We’re a little bit quirky, sometimes a little bit serious, but above all a lovely team of creatives interested in hearing and showcasing what the very best video games have to offer. A thriving, ambitious Organisation, Bonus Stage works with both established publishers like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo plus up-and-coming indie developers too. Our Writers work from home, free from the distractions of everyday life!
From the outset it was our belief that Bonus Stage was a ‘Free house of the Imagination’, and as such was owned by anyone and everyone who opened themselves to being part of its life. Bonus Stage offers a home for creative writing, where anyone, regardless of writing experience, can step away from their normal routine, immerse themselves in the creative process, be inspired by Video Games and release their imaginative potential.
There is no set path to becoming a good technical author, which is why we’re less concerned about specific university degrees or experience. Creative writing is a craft that can be learnt, through guidance from Lewis Baglow our reviews editor, and through the peer support that comes from creative friendships with fellow writers. At Bonus Stage, writers teach writers, and everyone encourages each other to become a better writer.
To generate a variety of content including news, reviews, features, guides, option pieces, video streaming which will be shared via our social media channels. You’ll also help generate feature ideas and uncover great stories before rival sites, using a variety of sources. For the right person it would be the dream job.
Reporting directly to our Senior Editor Callum James and under the guidance of the Global Editor in Chief Lewis Baglow. The role will be primarily focused on reviews, helping to decide what makes a great game. You’ll have an instinct for what brings audience to our website, and be willing to engage with data to shape your workflow and drive the site to further success.
Key role responsibilities
- Reviewing new releases as required.
- Creating news, reviews, features, guides, opinion pieces and videos.
- Gathering, editing, and publishing subject-specific knowledge.
- Monitoring of our key subject areas across games including PS4, Xbox, Nintendo and PC to respond to our audience’s needs.
- Promoting news and features through social media channels and optimising stories for SEO.
- Developing industry contacts that’ll yield stories in the future, whether for cool indie games or big blockbusters.
- Attending industry trade shows and press events on our behalf.
- Helping to grow the profile of Bonus Stage.
Essential skills and experience
- A serious passion for video games and internet culture and an understanding of gameplay and narrative.
- Ability to work swiftly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment and adhere to deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A comprehensive understanding of how online news works in the current media environment, and how audiences discover news stories now.
- A highly tuned affinity for the online audience, and what they are looking for.
- Some background of developing contacts in games or a related industry.
- A flexible and adaptable team worker, preferably with experience of working remotely as part of a wider team.
- Willing to embrace new technology and digital trends, demonstrating an understanding of their relevance in the future development.
- Experience in social media and community management or a related field.
This is a voluntary post, but there are lots of perks in joining us, including;
- Experience in journalism
- Experience in coordinating and managing your content
- Build and improve your writing
- Potential opportunity for your work to be seen by thousands
- Potential opportunities to develop responsibility (Become an editor or a site admin)
- And so much more!
No experience needed, but you must be eager and enthusiastic to write engaging content for Bonus Stage.
This is a great time to join us, as there are plenty of opportunities for you to get involved in so many different ways. Sounds good?
Here’s how you can apply…
Send us a little bit about yourself, an example of your work if you have it (this could be the first article you’d like to submit) along with your name and preferred contact email address to and we’ll be in touch!
Bonus Stage is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Bonus Stage also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.